Dear BCS Students and Families,
We hope you are having a wonderful summer! We look forward to seeing you soon!
$$Please support our Donors Choose fundraisers – TODAY IS A MATCH GRANT$$
- Our teachers regularly fundraise through Donors Choose – please donate generously to support BCS! TODAY ONLY (Tues 8/9) there is a 1.5x match grant – for every dollar you give, BCS gets $1.50!
$$Shop Amazon Smile to support BCS$$
- Please choose Friends of Brooklyn Collaborative Studies as your charity on Amazon Smile and donate to BCS while you shop at Amazon at no cost to you!
School Supplies – Families do NOT need to purchase supplies
- To support students and families with reducing stress and promoting equity, we will provide all supplies for students. You do NOT need to purchase anything – students just need a book bag. There are no supply lists.
Summer Enrichment (Reading/Math) Assignments on Website
- There are optional enrichment assignments in reading and math for all students on our website – they are not mandatory but we encourage them to keep your brain sharp! Access them here: https://www.bcs448.org/summer-enrichment-reading-and-math/
New Student Orientation
- If you did not attend the June orientation and you are a new family to BCS, there are two other opportunities to come see the building and meet admin. Optional – all are welcome! Please email our Parent Coordinator Tracey with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed 9/7 @ 4pm in cafeteria
- Thurs 9/8 @ 9am in cafeteria (after student drop-off)
First Day of School is Thurs 9/8 @ 8:45am
- The first day of school is Thursday 9/8 – our school day begins at 8:45AM. Students should arrive by 8:35am to be on time.
Crew Assignments and Crew Rooms, Student Schedules
- New students to BCS (Grades 6 and 9 and transfers into other grades) will receive their crew assignment with room number by email by Tues 9/6. Students may not request a crew or to be in the same crew with their friends.
- Returning students in Grades 7-8 and Grades 10-12 are in the same crew as last year and you already know your crew leaders and rooms.
- The first two days of school (Thurs 9/8 and Fri 9/9) are full crew days for orientation and students will be in their crew room (8:45am-3:05pm).
- Students will receive their schedules during the full crew days. (Note: Students in Grade 6 will have temporary schedules for up to 2 weeks so that we can get to know students before we make equitable final cohorts.)
Arrival to School
- Doors open at 8:30am. School begins at 8:45am.
- On the first day of school, Grade 6 students enter through the cafeteria doors (middle of Henry St) where Crew leaders will pick the students up at 8:35AM from the cafeteria.
- After the first day of school, Grades 6 students enter through the Coles Street yard and go to their Crew classroom directly (do not wait in cafeteria).
- Grades 7 & 8 students enter through the Coles Street back yard at 8:35AM and go directly upstairs to the 4th floor to their Crew rooms.
- Grades 9-12 students enter on Henry Street at 8:35AM at the doors farthest to the left when facing the building (MAIN ENTRANCE, by Coles Street, by the gym) and go directly upstairs to the 5th floor to their Crew rooms.
- We will have signs and staff posted to help you find your way around!
Dismissal from School
- School ends at 3:05pm daily. Students are dismissed from the main entrance.
- All middle and high school students are permitted to go home at 3:05pm on their own, they do not need to wait for a parent pick-up. If you are picking up your child, please make sure they know to wait for you.
- We are still waiting for updated DOE guidelines about COVID protocols.
- Masks are still optional for all students and staff.
- Hot breakfast is available from 8:15-8:35am in cafeteria daily.
Early Morning Yard for Middle School
- Middle school students can come daily for supervised recess in the yard from 8:15am-8:35am. Come and hang out before school starts!
- All students should bring a refillable water bottle and a snack daily.
- Grades 6-8 students eat in the cafeteria – students eat home lunch or a school lunch. Each grade rotates through the cafeteria for 15 min, and there is 30 min of recess in the yard/gym.
- Grade 9 students eat in the cafeteria – please bring a home lunch or plan to eat school lunch. Grade 9 students can earn the privilege to go out to lunch in second semester based on their report cards and attendance.
- Grades 10, 11, 12 eat home lunch or a school lunch. They also have the privilege of going out to lunch within an 8-block radius of the school to ensure that they arrive to their Pd 7 class on time. Students who are late to afternoon classes lose the privilege to go outside.
Afterschool – Free YWCA Programming for all students Grades 6-8 (Mon-Fri 3:05pm-6pm)
- We have an amazing afterschool program with the YWCA for all students Grades 6-8 (free for all students) tentatively everyday Mon-Fri from 3:05pm-6:00pm in the building
- There is academic help, fun activities, workshops led by experts like professional chefs, programmers, etc.
- The YWCA will host a parent info session on Tues 9/13. Afterschool will run from 09/19/2022- 06/16/2023. Application information will be forthcoming.
- Any questions – please email Program Director Ashley Armand (email@example.com)
Afterschool – Free Programming for all students Grades 9-12 (times vary)
- We have a new partner this year (Inspiring Minds NYC) who will offer free afterschool programming to all HS students.
- More details will follow about workshop offerings and schedules.
Jumprope online grading system will be available for students/families
- We are transitioning away from Pupilpath (which is no longer available for use in DOE schools). Our new grading system is Jumprope. By late Sept/early Oct, we will set up students and families with their Jumprope accounts so you can see your grades – please be patient as we set up this new system and train staff, students, families in its use.
- Cell phones must be off and out of sight during school. The school is not responsible for lost or stolen electronics so please do not bring expensive items to school.
- Please dress in layers. Our building is not fully air-conditioned and it may get hot or cold. Windows will be open where possible.
- The 2022–23 DOE school year calendar is available here: calendar
For school updates
- Regularly check our website (www.bcs448.org)
- Make sure you’re on our family listserve to receive emails from us (if you received this email, you’re on our listserve!)
- Follow us on Instagram (TheCollaborativeChronicle)
Parents, sign up for your NYC Student Account (NYCSA)
- Parents can sign into their New York City Student Account (NYCSA) to access information from DOE systems about your child. In your NYCSA account, you can find your child’s grades, attendance, test scores, schedules, transportation information, and more— from anywhere, and in all nine standard DOE language translations.
- If you have not previously created an account, you will need an account creation code. Please email Scill@bcs448.org with your child’s full name and grade (and OSIS number if you know it) and your request for a code.
PSAL Sports – Girls HS Volleyball and Boys HS Soccer (Grades 9-12)
- Girls HS Volleyball & Boys HS Soccer tryouts are approaching. If you are trying out for either team please do the following:
- 1. PRINT OUT MEDICAL FORM AND HAVE DOCTOR COMPLETE & STAMP
- 2. PRINT OUT PERMISSION SLIP AND HAVE PARENT/GUARDIAN COMPLETE
- 3. BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR EMAILS WITH TRYOUT DATES IN AUGUST.
- *ALL FORMS MUST BE COMPLETED IN FULL IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE*
- If you have any questions please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 917-773-8016
Adult English and Basic Education Classes Open to All Parents
- The DOE/K280 will host Adult English and Basic Education classes for free starting in September. The location will be 500 19th Street in Brooklyn. Classes will be held Monday-Friday. Morning classes from 9:00AM-12:00PM or Afternoon classes from 12:00 – 3:00PM. If you are interested, please fill in this form.