Who needs working papers?
All students between 14 – 17 years of age must get an employment certificate in order to work.
- Out of state students who are working in New York City must have New York State working papers. The ones from their own state are not sufficient.
- Minors who are 14 years of age or over are not required to have employment certificates to work as:
- Engage in casual employment such as yard work and household chores in and about a residence or on the premises of a non-profit, non-commercial organization—as long as these tasks do not involve the use of power-driven machinery.
How do I get working papers?
Your school counselor in Room 510 (Deb or Todd) can distribute your working papers. Please bring in your paperwork a day or two before you will need your working papers.
Make sure you have with you:
- Working Papers Application with Section 1 completed and signed by a parent/guardian. You only have to fill out Section 1.
- An original version of a New York State doctor’s note (stating the student is “fit for employment”). Tell your doctor you need a note for your working papers and they should know what to do.
For Summer: Please email both your completed application and doctor’s note to Scill@bcs448.org.