Dear Students/Families, this is our last update for 2022 – we’ll see you again in 2023!
Spirit Monday 12/19 – Holiday Themed Pajamas
- Wear holiday themed pajamas and take pictures with your crew to send to photos@bcs
Clearing Lost and Found – please claim any items, everything donated on 12/19
- Please come to the Lost and Found in Office 410 and see if you want anything. We have items in there since September and they must be removed!
- All items will be cleared and donated on Monday 12/19! Thank you!
COVID tests are available in Offices 416 and 516
- Students (and their families) can come get COVID tests whenever you need in Offices 416 and 516. Please take what you need for your family. Open to all BCS families.
- Please take a COVID test before returning to school on Tues 1/3 to ensure that you are negative.
Need a student ID?
- If you didn’t get your student ID yet, please go to Office 507 during crew (with a pass from your crew leader)
BCS College Now Info Session for 10th, 11th, 12th Graders and Families
- You are invited to a virtual info session on Tuesday, December 20th @ 6:30 p.m. with Program Coordinator Anna Venturino about the CUNY College Now Program at New York City College of Technology (City Tech) — a free transition/dual enrollment program for 10th through 12th grade students to take college-credit classes.
- The session will provide an overview of this CUNY program, go over course offerings, outline the requirements for registration for spring semester 2023 and demonstrate how to submit applications using the City Tech College Now online portal. There will also be time for Q & A.
- Please find following the zoom link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83535882111
- Kindly RSVP to email@example.com if you plan to attend the info session.
Movie Night Fundraiser
- BCS will host our first movie night of the school year on Monday, December 19, 2022 @4:00 p.m. in the Auditorium
- In honor of the holiday spirit, the movie premiere will be Home Alone, which will also take place on School Spirit Monday – Holiday Pajama Day.
- Admission is free. Please bring $5-$10 for snacks and refreshments from our concession stand. This is a Fundraiser!
New Year’s Potluck Community Feast: A Celebration of Hope
- We warmly invite you to join us to celebrate our third annual BCS New Year’s Potluck Community Feast: A Celebration of Hope on Friday, January 6, 2023 from 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. in the BCS Cafeteria.
- Bring your family, friends, and a favorite New Year’s dish for an evening of celebration, performances, community building, and breaking bread with other families and staff.
- Kindly RSVP to imani@ bcs448.org to confirm that you are coming and the dish that you plan to bring.
- Come enjoy performances from our BCS YWCA Lower Grade & Inspiring Minds Upper Grade After School Clubs, World Arts Department, Cheerleading Team, and so much more!
- Let’s bring back this Brooklyn Collaborative tradition that has been on pause for over two years. Let’s come together to bring in 2023 as a school community.
NYC Health Advisory urges masking up indoors and in crowded spaces, esp if at-risk
- Friday’s health advisory urged New Yorkers to mask up indoors and in crowded spaces, particularly if they’re at risk for severe illness (or know someone who is).
- “Everyone, even if vaccinated and even if they have had COVID-19 or flu before, should wear a mask…at all times when in an indoor public setting, including inside stores, offices, lobbies, hallways, elevators, public transportation, schools, child care facilities, and other public shared spaces, and when in a crowded outdoor setting…” Dated: December 9, 2022 (Source)
- Masks are available in all offices for students
COVID notification – email Scill@bcs448.org if you test positive for COVID
- Reminder that you must email Scill@bcs448.org and your crew leader if you test positive for COVID so that we can advise you about your return date and DOE policies
- As always, email crew leaders when you are absent
Upcoming Dates to note in your calendar
- Mon 12/26 to Mon 1/2 – No School (school resumes Tues 1/3)
- Mon 1/16/2023 – No School (Dr. MLK Jr. Day)
- Tues 1/24-1/27/2023 – Regents/PBAT Week – No School for HS Students unless you have a PBAT panel or Regents exam
- Mon 1/30/2023 – PD Day for Staff – No School for Students
Lower Grades Recess Reminders
- During recess, please remember to bring your coats downstairs. There is recess outside everyday unless it is raining.
Tuesday Tiers with Teachers Afterschool (formerly Tues Mastery Support)
- Every Tues afterschool, all teachers are available from 3:05pm-4pm to help students revise assessments, get extra help, or to check-in
- ALL students should take advantage of this opportunity to check in about assessments and Jumprope grades
Staging Pride: Queer Youth Theater
- Check out the launch of Staging Pride: Queer Youth Theater at The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center (The Center) in New York City. Staging Pride is a new free after-school theater education program for LGBTQ+ youth ages 12-18 that focuses on fostering community, teaching LGBTQ+ history through artistic engagement, developing leadership skills, and promoting positive self-esteem amongst LGBTQ+ youth.
- Applications are open until January 15 at 11:59 pm EST through our website (www.nationalqueertheater.org/staging-pride). Staging Pride will meet every Wednesday 4-6 pm EST on February 1st through April 19th at The Center (208 W 13th St, New York, NY 10011). Free snacks and MetroCards will be provided.
- If you want to learn more about us, check out our website!
Civilian Complaint Review Board’s Youth Advisory Council application are open
- The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is a council of young New Yorkers who are committed to criminal justice issues and improving police-community relations. The YAC counsels the CCRB and finds innovative ways to bring young New Yorkers into the narrative about civilian oversight of the NYPD.
- Applications are open to New Yorkers ages 10-18 years old. Video and audio statements can be submitted via link in the application’s “Please describe why you would be an ideal member of the CCRB Youth Advisory Council” section. The deadline is Tuesday, January 31st, 2023.
- Eligible applicants can apply here (https://www1.nyc.gov/site/ccrb/about/outreach/yac-application.page) to join our 2023 class. To learn more about the YAC visit www.nyc.gov/ccrbyouthcouncil
Futures and Options Internship Program
- The Internship Program is a paid mentored internship program, with work-readiness training and career exploration activities. Internships this school year may be a mix of virtual, in person and hybrid opportunities. Please see below for more detailed information about these programs. Our application is currently open and the deadline is January 27th, 2023. The application for all letter of recommendations to be submitted is February 10th, 2023.
- The Application link can be found here and on our website.
The “Picture Climate Change” Student Photo Contest!
- Calling all 5th through 12th Grade Students! The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has launched the “Picture Climate Change” student photo contest and is looking for images showing climate change in the United States. This photo contest is a chance for students to showcase their climate change experience through the lens of a camera, and to provide a short written narrative. The narrative should describe the student’s climate change photo, provide a short story about how the climate variability, change, or resilience is captured in the image, or describe how climate change will impact their local community and future.
- Please help us spread the word about this contest so we can see and hear the voices of our nation’s students! Details available here and in the attached flyer.
- Submissions due February 15, 2023.