For our staff and students who plan to travel, please read carefully the NYS rules for COVID testing and quarantine. (Source: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-new-guidelines-allowing-out-state-travelers-test-out-mandatory-14-day)
NEW RULES FOR COVID TESTING AND QUARANTINE
|As you may be aware, the rules have changed again for COVID testing and quarantine. Starting November 3rd, there are new requirements for travel into NY from another state (except for New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts & Vermont).
Here’s the link from the NY State website as well as a summary of the information. We are sharing this as it will have implications for staff and students who travel around Thanksgiving and winter break.
- People who are residents in states that border New York (New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts & Vermont) are exempt from the mandatory quarantine when they travel to New York.
- New York residents who spend 24+ hours in another state (except for New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts & Vermont):
- Travelers must obtain a test within three days before departure from that state. (Ex, if you arrive in New York on 12/4, you have to have proof of a negative test taken on 12/1, 12/2, or 12/3.)
- The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
- On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. (Using our previous example of arrival on 12/4, they would need to get another test on 12/8.) If both tests come back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.
- Depending on the turnaround time for the second test, it might mean they can exit quarantine on 12/8 or 12/9 or 12/10.
- If they test positive then they will need to isolate and the state will initiate contact tracing.
- If the traveler does not want a test, then they must stay in quarantine for 14 days.
- New York residents who were in another state for 24 hours or less:
- You do not have to quarantine or take a test prior to coming back to New York.
- The traveler must take a COVID diagnostic test within 4 days after their arrival into New York.