Brooklyn Collaborative is a NYC Outward Bound School. We use the EL Education model, which has its roots in Outward Bound.
We are a diverse and respectful community committed to developing students and staff who are kind, open-minded, persistent, responsible, and courageous.
With support from peers, staff, families and school partners, students engage in challenging academic and social experiences that prepare them for college level learning and full participation in civic life.
Students learn to apply their intellect and effort to benefit themselves and their community.
Our Core Values
We believe Core Values are to be incorporated into the habits we are practicing every day. Habits of Character and Scholarship support our school community, students, and staff to put our Core Values into action.
Habits of Character
Habits of Character help us prioritize socio-emotional learning as equal to academic learning.
All members of our school community, students, and staff aspire to Habits of Character. They are emphasized in crew and academic classes, and they drive our school-wide norms.
- I am kind. I support others academically and emotionally.
- I am open-minded. I recognize that difference makes a stronger community. I learn from others by openly discussing these differences while assuming best intention.
- I am courageous. I move beyond what is comfortable by taking risks, socially and academically.
Practicing these habits supports students in becoming
- Effective community members
- Ethical people
- Contributors to a better world
Habits of Scholarship
Habits of Scholarship support students specifically with being more effective learners.
They are explicitly taught and assessed regularly in class through character learning targets which are separated from academic content and skill targets.
- I am persistent. I know that my ability and competence grow with effort.
- I am responsible. I am responsible for my own success as well as the success of the community.
- I am collaborative. I work with others to achieve my goals.
Assessments of Habits of Scholarship [Add link to a page with the assessment info]