Dear BCS Students/Families, here’s our weekly email newsletter. We hope you managed to get through Friday’s storm.
- Thurs 10/5 – Upper Grades (Grades 9-12) Expeditionary Thursday
- Thurs 10/12 – Lower Grades (Grade 6-8) Expeditionary Thursday
- Be sure to arrive to school on time for your fieldwork trips
Tuesday Tiers – every Tues – get help from teachers afterschool
- Tuesday Tiers is afterschool from 3:05pm-3:55pm
- All teachers stay afterschool – students can stay with teachers to get help, check in about assignments and grades, and resolve incompletes NCs/NXs from last semester
- We invite all students to stay afterschool
Registration for the October Brooklyn PTA Fun Run (you can walk!)
- Help raise money for the PTA and enjoy a beautiful day in the park (Sat 10/28)
- Join the Brooklyn Collaborative School Team
- $25 per adult, $5 for ages 0-18 – come with your whole family and enjoy some fitness and fun at this fundraiser!
Learn more about the BCS Library – parents and families welcome
- Join Amanda, Susan and Karen (ASK) to hear about what’s happening in the BNS/BCS Library and how their work supports readers and learners of all ages! Tuesday, October 3, 8:20am-9:30am in the Library 402
Thanks to our parent volunteers for the Book Fair
- MAGNANIMOUS THANKS to All of the BCS Volunteers on which whose energy, strength, wit, ingenuity, and SOOO much more, caused the 610 Henry Street Community to have the MOST AMAZING SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR in the 2023 BNS/BCS FALL BOOK FAIR, this past 18-21 September 2023!!!
No School Monday 10/9
- There is no school on Monday 10/9 in honor of Italian Heritage/Indigenous People’s Day
Unity Fest is postponed to Sat 10/14
- Please join Unity Fest in the school yards/caf on Sat 10/14 (11am-3pm)
- Admission to Unity Fest is by donation. We suggest a $25 donation per family. Buy a ticket to attend or buy a ticket to donate to a student/family in need – https://www.paypal.com/donate?campaign_id=AZEKMJ5UEW5LG – your receipt is your ticket
- Buy items to support Unity Fest (shipped directly to the school) – https://www.amazon.com/registries/gl/guest-view/352B6EDG3DQ90
- Please give as much as you can for our first fundraiser!
- Your ticket will allow you all access: food and activities are included!
- Not included is BNS and BCS merchandise, which will be for sale.
- We look forward to seeing you!
Amazon Wish List
- Please purchase masks, wipes and tissues for our classrooms or donate some from home and bring to Office 416
Free COVID tests are available in 416/516
- All students can get free COVID tests in Office 416 or 516
- Come pick some up for yourself and your family!
Complete the online Lunch Form
- Our school is 15K448 – Brooklyn Sch for Collaborative Studies. All families should complete the form (even if your student does not eat school lunch.) Why?>
- Completing the Lunch Form helps BCS access vital funding from the federal government
- The information is used to determine fee waiver eligibility for trips, college applications, SAT and more.
Families, sign up for a Jumprope account
- Families who need access to Jumprope, please request a login here – sometimes we have sent this email to you with login credentials but it is going to your spam account – please check there
- The student view is the same as the family view. Students have access to Jumprope using their BCS emails.
- Students not permitted in building before 8:15am – students can be in the school yard before then
- At 8:15am, students can enter the building to the cafeteria to breakfast or for morning clubs
- Pd 1 class begins at 8:45am
Calling the school in an emergency
- Please do not call or text your child during the school day (8:45am-3:05pm).
- Please text or call them at 3:05pm at dismissal time
- If you have an urgent need to give a message to your child, please call:
- Your child’s crew leader
- 718-923-4700 x4101 (Main Office)
- 718-923-4700 x1283 (Parent Coordinator Tracey’s Office)
If your child is absent, email crew leader
- Email your child’s crew leader so they can let the Attendance Office and your teachers know the reason for your absence
- Please avoid any unnecessary absences during the school year – studies show that “students who miss 2 days of school a month are 5 times more likely to fall behind in reading, writing and math, even if the absences are excused.”
DOE COVID policy for students – quarantine 5 days, return masked days 6-10
- If students test positive, they must quarantine for 5 days from the date of the positive test (do not come to school) – please tell your crew leader so they can let the Attendance Office and your teachers know the reason for your absence
- Students can return to school masked from Days 6-10 after testing positive
- For students, there is no remote learning during the time of absence. Where possible, teachers will post some work on Google Classroom – otherwise the student is excused or will make up the work when they return to school
Drama Opportunity for LGBT Youth
- National Queer Theater is currently accepting applications for Staging Pride: Queer Youth Theater!
- FREE after school theater program for LGBT youth (ages 12-18) within the NYC public school system. Free snacks and Metro cards are provided!
- Between October 11-December 13 from 4:30-6:30 pm on Mondays & Wednesdays.
- Where: The Center (AKA The LGBT Center) in the West Village: 208 W 13th Street, New York, NY 10011
- The program exists to give queer students a space to build community, explore identity and expression, and learn about the history of queer art and culture through theater-making and performance activities!
Big Apple College Fair
- The Big Apple College Fair invites students to the in person 2023 Big Apple College Fair. There will be approximately 175 colleges in attendance. Register here: bigapplecollegefair.com
- Sunday 10/8
Gowanus Tree Care Event on City of Forest Day
- Saturday, October 14, 10am-12pm
- As part of City of Forest Day, take care of street trees by weeding and applying compost to local street trees, then join Gowanus Canal Conservancy at our first annual Open House at the Lowlands Nursery!
- Sign up link
Become a GCC Seasonal Nursery Volunteer this Fall!
- Volunteer for four (4), 3-hour shifts between September – December at GCC’s Lowlands Nursery, with plant propagation, weeding, watering, creating soil mixes, and more. No gardening experience needed! Volunteers must attend a 2-hour orientation or have previous experience volunteering with GCC.
- To volunteer: Fill out the interest form
- Contact: email@example.com.
Siblinghood Academy (Grades 9-12)
- Siblinghood Academy is an amazing after school opportunity for identifying young women and gender expansive youth from 9 – 12th grade. Throughout this program, our participants will have a safe and brave space to challenge the world, hold discussions about identity, building healthy relationships, and so much more. They will also be able to participate in additional activities and events within the Sadie Nash community such as Sibling Circles, Workshops, Fun Trips, Webinars, and more. This Fall, our Siblinghood Academy program will now be a year long opportunity that is flexible to meet the needs of our participants. All participants of the Siblinghood Academy program will be eligible to receive a $300 stipend based on their attendance and completion of the program!
- Programming will be IN-PERSON and occurs 2x a week on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4 – 6 P.M. at the Sadie Nash Midtown Office located at 4 W 43rd St. New York, NY 10036 *Suite 502*. For interested students who would like to submit an application – our priority deadline is September 28th at 11:59 P.M. and our official deadline is October 12th 11:59 P.M. Despite our application deadlines our applications will still remain open after this deadline if slots have not been filled. However, we strongly recommended the interested students apply within our deadlines to secure a spot early! You can find our application HERE!
World Explorers – Job Opportunity for HS Juniors and Seniors
- World Explorers is hiring awesome high school juniors and seniors in Brooklyn for work in our after school programs! Students must have a desire to support children in after school activities, assist with homework, and inspire children to participate in art, workshops, and games.
- Pay is $15 per hour. Students will also receive opportunities for training, an excellent position for their student resume, and the opportunity to earn a recommendation letter for college admissions. Positions begin this month!
Interested applicants should complete the following form: https://www.brooklyn.explorerkids.us/join-our-village