Press "Enter" to skip to content

Working Papers

Who needs working papers?

All students between 14 – 17 years of age must get an employment certificate in order to work.

  • Out of state students who are working in New York City must have New York State working papers. The ones from their own state are not sufficient.
  • Minors who are 14 years of age or over are not required to have employment certificates to work as:
    • Caddies
    • Babysitters
    • Engage in casual employment such as yard work and household chores in and about a residence or on the premises of a non-profit, non-commercial organization—as long as these tasks do not involve the use of power-driven machinery.

How do I get working papers?

Your school counselor in Room 510 (Deb or Todd) can distribute your working papers. Please bring in your paperwork a day or two before you will need your working papers.

Make sure you have with you:

  1. Working Papers Application with Section 1 completed and signed by a parent/guardian. You only have to fill out Section 1. 
  2. An original version of a New York State doctor’s note (stating the student is “fit for employment”). Tell your doctor you need a note for your working papers and they should know what to do.

For Summer: Please email both your completed application and doctor’s note to

Questions? Email or