Brooklyn Collaborative Studies, Brooklyn, NY (15K448)
–We have anticipated full-time positions for Sept 2021 in the following subjects: ELA, Social Studies, Earth Science, Physics, Math – Geometry
–We have an anticipated part-time position for Sept 2021 for candidates who have skills in ATS and STARS school programming (or is willing to be trained)
Description of Position – Candidates should:
- be familiar with project-based learning, mastery grading, and restorative practices.
- have a deep curiosity and willingness to engage in school-wide initiatives around anti-racist and inclusive teaching
- understand and have worked w/in EL Education, NYC Outward Bound Schools, and/or New York Performance Assessment Consortium or similar model
- have a teaching portfolio which reflects deep knowledge of adolescent development, differentiated assessment, and engaging instruction that is culturally responsive
- have experience adapting to recent developments in content-related pedagogy (e.g. teaching climate change science and green engineering innovations that respond to global climate change needs, supporting students in original research and writing projects based on contemporary social justice issues, using CPM, Desmos and IXL to deepen math conceptual understanding and fluency, etc.)
- have current certification that allows employment in NYS in Grades 6-12 (e.g. licenses and flexible extensions in Grades 5-9 and Grades 7-12)
Position includes being a Crew advisory leader, integrated co-teaching, and developing EL Education experiences/expeditions/fieldwork inside and outside the classroom. Position includes teaching research and writing skills to students to prepare and defend their high quality performance based assessment tasks (PBATs).
The ideal candidate has an infectious growth mindset, looks for the strengths in others, is energetic before/during/after official school hours, and not afraid to do the hard work and self-reflection to help ALL students progress. We are looking for a team player who works well with others, who chips in and builds up their team, who is passionate and courageous about equity and access, has a great sense of humor and is easygoing, and who can see situations and solutions through the perspectives of others. Does this describe you? Then please apply to join our crew!
Description of School: Brooklyn Collaborative Studies (BCS) opened in 2001, first as a middle school and expanded to a full secondary school with grades 6-12 by Sept 2008. A heterogeneous and diverse community, our students come from all over Brooklyn. We are located on the border between Carroll Gardens and Red Hook. We have a student population of 700. Intense staff collaboration is a strength of the school, and we have approximately 100 staff members spread throughout Grades 6-12. To graduate and show college readiness, students complete performance-based assessment tasks (PBATs) in their major subjects (we are members of the NY Performance Standards Consortium – http://www.performanceassessment.org/). Please see our website http://www.bcs448.org/ or https://insideschools.org/school/15K448 for more information about our school.
School Mission: Brooklyn Collaborative is a diverse and respectful NYC Outward Bound School, committed to developing students and staff who are kind, open-minded, persistent, responsible, and courageous. With support from peers, staff, families and school partners, students engage in challenging academic and social experiences that prepare them for college level learning and full participation in civic life. Students learn to apply their intellect and effort to benefit themselves and their community. We use the EL Education school model, which has its roots in Outward Bound.
How to Apply: Email resume with references and a lesson/unit plan with evidence of inquiry/differentiation to Principal Scill Chan (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Assistant Principal Imani Matthews (email@example.com).
We can’t wait to meet you!