Dear BCS Students/Families,
What a beautiful weekend. We hope you were able to get outside to soak up the Vitamin D!
Tuesday Afterschool – all students, please stay afterschool
- We have Tuesday Clubs this week (2:20pm-3:15pm) – last Tuesday of each month
- Stay tuned for the full club listing (will be sent to your email shortly)
- Upper grades students can also log service credit hours by helping teachers
- Every other Tuesday, we have Mastery Support for teacher help and tutoring – TUESDAYS IS THE DAY TO STAY AFTERSCHOOL
BCS Curriculum Night – Thurs 9/30 – 5:45-7:30pm in Zoom
- Please save the date/time – Virtual Curriculum Night Thurs 9/30 – 5:45-7:30pm
- Due to the DOE’s recent policy change that all visitors to the school must be vaccinated, Curriculum Night will be virtual
- Stay tuned for Zoom links to follow
Brooklyn Book Festival Children’s Day Sat 10/2 – BCS Teacher Torrey will be presenting!
- Please join the Brooklyn Book Festival on Sat 10/2
- Torrey’s session is Sat 10/2 at 11am: Do You Dare? A mystery grandfather. An abandoned building. A fire-breathing demon girl. Come hear New York Times bestseller Karina Yan Glaser (The Vanderbeekers Make a Wish) talk with acclaimed author Torrey Maldonado (What Lane?), and New York Times bestseller Sayantani DasGupta (Force of Fire) about risks their characters take, and the twists and turns that result in each of their middle grade novels.
Up and down staircases are labeled
- Staircases are labeled with up and down arrows – please be mindful of following them as you travel between classes.
5-min Family Survey – COVID Vaccination
- To support our families, BCS has partnered with the CUNY Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy.
- We want to understand the questions and concerns you have about COVID-19 vaccination. All responses are confidential and anonymous. We appreciate it if you take five minutes to fill out this brief questionnaire – answer the questions from the parent perspective. Link: https://cunysph.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9RHzqraRwqZNx0a
- We will use your information to co-create and facilitate panel discussions about COVID-19 vaccination that will ideally address vaccine hesitancy and increase vaccination rates in our community
Grades 6-8 Families – Learn more about our YWCA afterschool program!
- We will be hosting a parent orientation via Zoom on Monday 9/27/21 at 7pm. We would like to extend the invite to all parents (including those enrolled in afterschool already and those not yet enrolled) to share and answer questions about our program.
YWCA After School – Mon-Fri 2:20pm-5:20pm, free for all Grades 6-8 students
- Zoom Link Meeting ID: 883 0990 2174
- Passcode: bcswelcome
DOE School Breakfast and Lunch Menu
- Here are the Sept menus:
DOE Message about updated weeking COVID testing and quarantine protocols
- DOE Messages for Families (with translated versions)
- Mensajes para familias (con versiones traducidas)
DOE Pop Up Vaccine Clinics – Mon 9/27 – Get Vaccinated!
- To make vaccines as accessible as possible to the community, the DOE will be hosting pop-up vaccination sites outside schools across the city tomorrow (Monday, September 27); please refer to the attached list or check here. Vaccine vendors assigned by the NYC Vaccine Command Center will be available to administer the COVID-19 vaccine to anyone who’s eligible (students under 18 need parent consent).
Pronoun Share Form
- All students did a pronoun intro activity in crew and were shared the pronoun share form
- Please complete it so that teachers know your pronouns
All families, please fill out the lunch form online
- All families must complete the online Family Income Inquiry Form even if your child does not eat school lunch
- The lunch status of your child provides valuable funding to our school and can make your child eligible for fee waivers and scholarship opportunities
- Our school zip code is 11231
- Our school name is listed as 15K448 – Brooklyn Sch for Collaborative Studies
Morning recess for Grades 6-8 every day – 8:15am-8:45am Mon-Fri
- Come play with your friends and meet new peers!
- Every morning in the yard, Grades 6-8 students can come play
- Jose will be in the yard to provide any sports equipment needed
Operoo forms system
- Our system for collecting forms is now active – families will be receiving emails and texts to log into Operoo to fill out the required DOE forms (blue card, media consent, etc.)
- If you have questions about Operoo, please contact Parent Coordinator Tracey@bcs448.org
Student BCS and DOE Email Addresses
- All students have access to their BCS student email addressed (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) – you will use this email for all school purposes, including Google Classroom
- Check your email – we sent you your DOE student email address if you’re not sure what it is!
- Your default password for both your BCS and DOE email are 610Henry (capital H) – any login issues? Please email email@example.com and specify if it’s BCS or DOE email
Log into Pupilpath
- Please check your BCS student email account – we emailed you student and parent access information to PupilPath, please share with your parents. (Note: parent access information was emailed to the student in the same email – if you did not receive, you can also email Scill@bcs448.org for a registration code)
- Middle school students (Grades 6-8) will be in temporary schedules for the first 2 weeks while academic teachers make more permanent groupings (this is not your final cohort/final schedule yet) – this helps us to know students more before we make class groupings. What you see in PupilPath is NOT the final schedule.
- Students/parents cannot request to be in a cohort with friends
- There is no choice in PE/specials (students are assigned what is available). Students are required to take PE every semester, even if you have met the grad requirements in PE.
- All students have a full course load (there are no free periods or early dismissal).
KN95 masks available for free for all students
- Due to the generosity of parents, we have KN95 masks available for all students – this is a higher quality mask than cloth masks and better prevents droplets from coming in or out
- Students should come to Office 416 to pick up their masks if they want one
- This mask is strongly recommended if you are not vaccinated
- The flu spreads easily. You can spread it to others before you know you’re sick. It can cause serious illness. Getting the flu vaccine is the best way to prevent flu and its complications.
Amazon Wish List
- Please help purchase items off our Amazon Wish List
- Please choose Friends of Brooklyn Collaborative Studies as your charity on Amazon Smile and donate to BCS while you shop at Amazon at no cost to you!
Consent to COVID testing in the school
- Please consent to your child being tested via your NYC Schools Account – this keeps our whole community safer if everyone consents
- Dept of Health professionals come to the school to test students, this is not done by school staff
- Need an account creation code for your NYC Schools Account? Please contact Parent Coordinator Tracey@bcs448.org
DOE Health Screening – fill out daily
- Students can use their DOE Student Email Address to log into the DOE Daily Health Screening (https://healthscreening.schools.nyc/) to expedite entry. Bookmark this site on your phone. Click the yellow Sign In button. Show your completed screener every day at entry (we have paper copies at entry).
DOE Vaccination Portal – upload proof of vaccination
- Students can use their DOE Student Email Address for the DOE Vaccination Portal (https://vaccine.schools.nyc/) to upload proof of their vaccination.
- Students who are vaccinated and asymptomatic do not have to be quarantined for 10 days in case of close contact, which lessens disruptions to your education.
DOE COVID Protocol – notification to school
- If any BCS student tests positive, you must notify Principal Scill@bcs448.org or text/call 646-483-8644
- If any BCS student has a family member who tests positive or person outside of BCS they have been in close contact who tests positive, they should monitor symptoms and get tested within 3-5 days of the exposure to see if they are COVID positive