Dear BCS Students/Families, here’s our weekly email newsletter. We hope you stayed dry this rainy weekend.
No School Monday 9/25
- No school in observance of Yom Kippur. Classes resume Tues 9/26.
Tuesday Tiers Begins
- Tuesday Tiers begins on Tues 9/26 afterschool from 3:05pm-3:55pm
- All teachers stay afterschool – students can stay with teachers to get help, check in about assignments and grades, and resolve incompletes NCs/NXs from last semester
- We invite all students to stay afterschool
Save the date: Curriculum Night Virtual – Thurs 9/28 – all families are invited!
- Zoom links for your child’s academic/crew team will be shared shortly – families stay in the same Zoom link for the whole evening
- Thurs 9/28 Evening
- 6:15pm-7:00pm Academic Team presentations
- 7:00pm-7:20pm Special Guest Speakers in each grade (see below)
- 7:30pm-7:50pm Crew Team presentations (families stay in the same link)
- ***Note: there will be an info session before Curriculum Night about our afterschool programs beginning at 5:45pm (link to be shared) – YWCA (Grades 6-8) and Inspiring Minds (Grade 9-12)
Amazon Wish List
- Please purchase wipes and tissues for our classrooms or donate some from home and bring to Office 416
Save the date: Unity Fest – Sat Sept 30
- Save the date for the BCS/BNS Unity Fest – an awesome community building fundraiser at 610 Henry St on Saturday Sept 30th from 11am-3pm in our schoolyards!
- You’ll get a wristband at entry which will allow you all access: food, activities and a clothing swap are included. *Not included is BNS and BCS merchandise, which will be for sale.
- Admission to Unity Fest is by donation. Please give as much as you can for our first fundraiser.
- Buy a ticket to attend or buy a ticket to donate to a student/family in need – https://www.paypal.com/donate?campaign_id=AZEKMJ5UEW5LG – your receipt is your ticket
- Buy items to support Unity Fest (shipped directly to the school) – https://www.amazon.com/registries/gl/guest-view/352B6EDG3DQ90
Complete the online Lunch Form
- Our school is 15K448 – Brooklyn Sch for Collaborative Studies. All families should complete the form (even if your student does not eat school lunch.) Why?>
- Completing the Lunch Form helps BCS access vital funding from the federal government
- The information is used to determine fee waiver eligibility for trips, college applications, SAT and more.
Families, sign up for a Jumprope account
- Families who need access to Jumprope, please request a login here
- The student view is the same as the family view. Students have access to Jumprope using their BCS emails.
Games we want at recess
- We are looking for student input on recess equipment
- Give us your ideas here
- Students not permitted in building before 8:15am – students can be in the school yard before then
- At 8:15am, students can enter the building to the cafeteria to breakfast or for morning clubs
- Pd 1 class begins at 8:45am
Calling the school in an emergency
- Please do not call or text your child during the school day (8:45am-3:05pm).
- Please text or call them at 3:05pm at dismissal time
- If you have an urgent need to give a message to your child, please call:
- Your child’s crew leader
- 718-923-4700 x4101 (Main Office)
- 718-923-4700 x1283 (Parent Coordinator Tracey’s Office)
If your child is absent, email crew leader
- Email your child’s crew leader so they can let the Attendance Office and your teachers know the reason for your absence
- Please avoid any unnecessary absences during the school year – studies show that “students who miss 2 days of school a month are 5 times more likely to fall behind in reading, writing and math, even if the absences are excused.”
DOE COVID policy for students – quarantine 5 days, return masked days 6-10
- If students test positive, they must quarantine for 5 days from the date of the positive test (do not come to school) – please tell your crew leader so they can let the Attendance Office and your teachers know the reason for your absence
- Students can return to school masked from Days 6-10 after testing positive
- For students, there is no remote learning during the time of absence. Where possible, teachers will post some work on Google Classroom – otherwise the student is excused or will make up the work when they return to school
NEWS FROM OTHER SCHOOLS
October 1-7 is Banned Book Week
- Learn more about the book ban and school librarian landscapes—and what we can do to protect our students’ reading freedoms.
- Hosted by PS 261. Tues 10/3 at 8:20AM – Please RSVP
Help student/family in need from Red Hook tragedy
- A former District 15 elementary school student was stabbed on his way home on Tuesday in Red Hook. A Go Fund Me has been started on behalf of his family. Please consider donating and sharing the link with your communities.
Submerge Marine Science Festival
- Calling NYC students: Explore marine science during a trip to Hudson River Park’s SUBMERGE Marine Science Festival!
Big Apple College Fair
- The Big Apple College Fair invites students to the in person 2023 Big Apple College Fair. There will be approximately 175 colleges in attendance. Register here: bigapplecollegefair.com
Gowanus Tree Care Event on City of Forest Day
- Saturday, October 14, 10am-12pm
- As part of City of Forest Day, take care of street trees by weeding and applying compost to local street trees, then join Gowanus Canal Conservancy at our first annual Open House at the Lowlands Nursery!
- Sign up link
Become a GCC Seasonal Nursery Volunteer this Fall!
- Volunteer for four (4), 3-hour shifts between September – December at GCC’s Lowlands Nursery, with plant propagation, weeding, watering, creating soil mixes, and more. No gardening experience needed! Volunteers must attend a 2-hour orientation or have previous experience volunteering with GCC.
- To volunteer: Fill out the interest form
- Contact: email@example.com.