Dear BCS Students/Families,
Here is everything you need to know for the first day of school!! We’re excited to welcome you back. Please be patient with us as we welcome back all our students!
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
- The first day of school is Monday 9/13 – our school day begins at 8:45AM.
- Doors open at 8:30am.
- Grade 6 students enter through the cafeteria doors where Crew leaders will pick the students up at 8:45AM from the cafeteria.
- Grades 7 & 8 students enter through the Coles Street yard at 8:45AM and go directly upstairs to the 4th floor to their Crew rooms.
- Grades 9-12 students enter on Henry Street at 8:45AM at the doors farthest to the left when facing the building (by Coles Street, by the gym) and go directly upstairs to the 5th floor to their Crew rooms.
- After the first day of school, Grades 6 students enter through the Coles Street yard and go to their Crew classroom.
DOE HEALTH SCREENING
- All students should save this link and fill it out daily: https://healthscreening.schools.nyc/
- If you know your DOE student account, click “DOE Employees and Students” to sign in
- If you don’t know your DOE student account, you can click “Guest Screening” to sign in (our school is K448)
- You can also print the Paper DOE Health screener and bring it in
- We will also have copies at entry for all students to fill out
- All students will have their temperature taken at entry
MASKS ARE REQUIRED
- Masks are required by anyone on school property, even if fully vaccinated.
- If your mask breaks or is soiled or lost, we have extra masks for students.
- No neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandannas, or face coverings with valves, mesh or holes.
- All parents/visitors to the building must be prepared to:
- All students have a crew assignment – all new students were emailed their crews. Returning students in Grades 7-8 and Grades 10-12 are in the same crew as last year.
- Here is the list of crew rooms.
- If you do not know your crew, please email Scill@bcs448.org
- School ends at 2:20pm.
- Lower grades (grades 6-8) are dismissed on the Rapelye Street side of the building.
- Upper grades (grades 9-12) are dismissed on the Coles Street side of the building.
- All middle and high school students are permitted to go home at 2:20pm on their own, they do not need to wait for a parent pick-up.
COVID TESTING CONSENT
- All families should fill out the Testing Consent in their NYCSA account or on paper here. (Last year’s forms have expired.)
- Hot breakfast is available from 8:15-8:35am in cafeteria.
- Grab&Go breakfast (cold) is available daily from 8:15am on
EARLY YARD FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Middle school students can come daily for supervised recess in the yard from 8:15am-8:45am.
- We recommend that all students bring a snack and a refillable water bottle.
- Middle school students will eat lunch with their crew (outdoors, weather/space permitting) – they can eat home lunch or a school lunch.
- High school students may eat a snack or home lunch during crew, either in the class room (if there is sufficient room to social distance) or go to an office/hall to eat quickly. Students who want a hot school lunch can come to the cafeteria at 12:30pm to eat quickly. There is no formal lunch period for high school students.
- All students can take a Grab&Go Lunch at 2:20pm upon dismissal.
- Cell phones must be OFF and hidden (in backpacks) after showing the health screener.
- Please dress in layers. Our building is not fully air-conditioned and it may get hot or cold. Windows will be open where possible.
- While the DOE is not requiring that each child have a negative test before the school year starts, we strongly recommend it!
- You can text “COVID TEST” to 855-48 to find free testing sites near you.
- While the DOE is not requiring that each child be vaccinated before the school year starts, we strongly recommend it! You can get vaccinated right here at school next week (9/13, 9/14, 9/15, 9/17) from 12pm-5pm in Room 108 – the DOH is offering a pop-up vaccination site here at BCS.
- All students under age 18 need a consent form. (The vaccine is free – you can leave the insurance section blank.). All adults can walk in, no appointment.
ORIENTATION FOR NEW FAMILIES
- We will be holding two in-person orientations for families Thursday 9/9 from 4:00pm-5:00pm and Monday 9/13 from 9:00-10:00am). We look forward to you attending ONE of the orientations – they are optional but recommended for students/families who are new to BCS. Please RSVP for either session to Imani@bcs448.org.
- All students will receive orientation in Crew during the first week of school.