Dear BCS Students and Families,
We hope you are having a wonderful summer! We look forward to seeing you soon!
WAYS TO HELP BCS
$$Purchase items for our Unity Fest from our Amazon Wish List
- Save the date for the BCS/BNS Unity Fest – an awesome community building fundraiser at 610 Henry St on Saturday Sept 29th from 11am-3pm in our schoolyards! Stay tuned for more information for how to donate, volunteer, and have fun!
- Please buy items from our Amazon Wishlist to donate needed supplies for the event – purchasing from this list will deliver the items straight to school so we have everything we need on-site. More items will be added as we get closer to the event!
$$Please support our Donors Choose fundraisers$$
- Our teachers regularly fundraise through Donors Choose – please donate generously to support BCS!
- Click here for a list of all BCS projects currently fundraising!
$$Please donate to BCS PTA
- We prioritize using our school budget to ensure that all students have equitable access to our programming, including trips, supplies, camping, etc.
- We do this in partnership with our amazing PTA – please donate generously via our PTA Donation link – if families are able, we ask for a $60 donation per family! Thank you!
School Supplies – Families do NOT need to purchase supplies
- To support students and families with reducing stress and promoting equity, we will provide all supplies for students. You do NOT need to purchase anything – students just need a book bag and writing utensils. There are no supply lists.
New Student Orientation
- If you are a new family to BCS, there are two opportunities to come see the building and meet admin. Optional – all are welcome! Please email our Assistant Principal Imani with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wed 9/6 @ 4pm in cafeteria
- Thurs 9/7 @ 9am in cafeteria (after student drop-off)
First Day of School is Thurs 9/7 @ 8:45am
- The first day of school is Thursday 9/7 – our school day begins at 8:45AM. Students should arrive by 8:35am to be on time.
Crew Assignments and Crew Rooms
- New students to BCS (Grades 6 and 9 and transfers into other grades) will receive their crew assignment with room number by email by Tues 9/5. Students may not request a crew or to be in the same crew with their friends.
- Returning students in Grades 7-8 and Grades 10-12 are in the same crew as last year and you already know your crew leaders and rooms.
- The first two days of school (Thurs 9/7 and Fri 9/8) are full crew days for orientation and students will be in their crew room (8:45am-3:05pm).
- Students will receive their schedules during the full crew days. (Note: Students in Grade 6 and 9 will have temporary schedules for up to 2 weeks so that we can get to know students before we make equitable final cohorts.)
- In TeachHub, some students are able to view a temporary schedule – we are constantly making changes each day as we program the whole school. Please kindly refrain from reaching out about student schedules at this time. Schedules are still under construction and will not be distributed until the first day of school for Grades 7-8 and Grades 10-12. You can speak with your crew leader about schedule questions. Students cannot request to be in specific classes or to be in classes with friends.
Arrival to School
- Doors open at 8:30am. School begins at 8:45am.
- On the first day of school, Grade 6 students enter through the cafeteria doors (middle of Henry St) where Crew leaders will pick the students up at 8:35AM from the cafeteria.
- After the first day of school, Grades 6 students enter through the Coles Street yard and go to their Crew classroom directly (do not wait in the cafeteria).
- Grades 7 & 8 students enter through the Coles Street back yard at 8:35AM and go directly upstairs to the 4th floor to their Crew rooms.
- Grades 9-12 students enter on Henry Street at 8:35AM at the doors farthest to the left when facing the building (MAIN ENTRANCE, by Coles Street, by the gym) and go directly upstairs to the 5th floor to their Crew rooms.
- We will have signs and staff posted to help you find your way around!
Early Morning Yard for Middle School
- Middle school students can come daily for supervised recess in the yard from 8:15am-8:35am. Come and hang out before school starts!
Dismissal from School
- School ends at 3:05pm daily. Students are dismissed from the main entrance.
- All middle and high school students are permitted to go home at 3:05pm on their own, they do not need to wait for a parent pick-up. If you are picking up your child, please make sure they know to wait for you.
- Hot breakfast is available from 8:15-8:35am in the cafeteria daily.
- All students should bring a refillable water bottle and a snack daily.
- Grades 6-8 students eat in the cafeteria – students eat home lunch or a school lunch. Each grade rotates through the cafeteria for 15 min, and there is 30 min of recess in the yard/gym.
- Grade 9 students eat in the cafeteria – please bring a home lunch or plan to eat school lunch. Grade 9 students can earn the privilege to go out to lunch in second semester based on their report cards and attendance.
- Grades 10, 11, 12 eat home lunch or a school lunch. They also have the privilege of going out to lunch within an 8-block radius of the school to ensure that they arrive to their Pd 7 class on time. Students who are late to afternoon classes lose the privilege to go outside.
Complete the online Lunch Form
- Our school is 15K448 – Brooklyn Sch for Collaborative Studies. All families should complete the form (even if your student does not eat school lunch.) Why?>
- Completing the Lunch Form helps BCS access vital funding from the federal government
- The information is used to determine fee waiver eligibility for trips, college applications, SAT and more.
Afterschool – Free YWCA Programming for all students Grades 6-8 (Mon-Fri 3:05pm-6pm)
- We have an amazing afterschool program with the YWCA for all students Grades 6-8 (free for all students) tentatively everyday Mon-Fri from 3:05pm-6:00pm in the building
- There is academic help, fun activities, workshops led by experts like professional chefs, programmers, etc.
- The YWCA will host a parent info session on Wed 9/6 – details to be shared. Application information will be forthcoming.
- Any questions – please email AP Imani at email@example.com
Afterschool – Free IM Programming for all students Grades 9-12 (times vary)
- We have an amazing afterschool program with Inspiring Minds NYC for all students Grades 9-12 (free for all students). Students can join one day or everyday for 10 week cycles.
- More details will follow about workshop offerings and schedules.
- Inspiring Minds will host a parent info session on Wed 9/6 – details to be shared. Application information will be forthcoming.
- Any questions – please email AP Imani at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jumprope online grading system will be available for students/families
- Our grading and attendance system is Jumprope. By late Sept, we will set up new students and families with their Jumprope accounts. Returning students and families already have Jumprope accounts.
- Cell phones must be off and out of sight during school. The school is not responsible for lost or stolen electronics so please do not bring expensive items to school.
- Middle school students (Grades 6-8) have their phones collected by their Pd 1 teacher and returned by their Pd 8 teacher.
- Please dress in layers. Our building is not fully air-conditioned and it may get hot or cold. Windows will be open where possible.
- The 2023–24 DOE school year calendar is available here: calendar
Important BCS Dates to note
- Thurs 9/28 – Curriculum Night (virtual)
- Sat 9/30 – BCS/BNS Unity Fest (in-person)
- Thurs 11/16 – SLC Evening (virtual)
For school updates and communications
- Regularly check our website (www.bcs448.org)
- Make sure you’re on our family listserve to receive emails from us (if you received this email, you’re on our listserve!)
- Follow us on Instagram (TheCollaborativeChronicle)
Parents, sign up for your NYC Student Account (NYCSA)
- Parents can sign into their New York City Student Account (NYCSA) to access information from DOE systems about your child. In your NYCSA account, you can find your child’s grades, attendance, test scores, schedules, transportation information, and more— from anywhere, and in all nine standard DOE language translations.
- If you have not previously created an account, you will need an account creation code. Please email Scill@bcs448.org with your child’s full name and grade (and OSIS number if you know it) and your request for a code.
Student Health: Immunization Required by DOE
- Review your child’s immunization requirements so that they may be up-to-date for the start of the school year. Immunizations are required to attend DOE public schools. For more information on immunizations, please visit the Infohub (Health Forms and Notices page here).
PSAL Sports (Grades 9-12)
- Please see below a list of sports at BCS! These team sports are offered for grades 9-12 students. All sports teams compete on the Varsity level. Please see below:
- Fall Teams:
- Boys Soccer
- Girls Volleyball
- Winter Teams:
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- Spring Teams:
- Boys Baseball
- Girls Softball
- Fall Teams:
- To participate in team sports at BCS, PSAL (Public School Athletic League) requires a completed medical form, and a completed parental consent form:
- Tryout information for Volleyball & Soccer to come soon!
- If you have any questions please email email@example.com