Dear BCS Students and Families,
We are excited to see you shortly! We hope you are enjoying a safe, restful and healthy summer!
Short summary – full in-person learning is a go as far as we know from the DOE! Current guidance calls for social distancing of 3 feet, where possible. When social distancing is not possible, other measures such as masking, daily health/temperature screening, air purifiers, ventilation, COVID testing, regular cleaning, and other plans will be implemented to minimize COVID transmission. More information will follow from the DOE as we get closer to the first day of school!
School Day Times
- Our school hours are Monday-Friday 8:45am-3:05pm
DOE School Year Calendar
- Here is the 2021-22 DOE Calendar: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/about-us/news/2021-2022-school-year-calendar
First Day of School – Monday 9/13
- The first day of school is Monday 9/13.
- Grade 6 students enter through the cafeteria doors where Crew leaders will pick the students up at 8:45AM from the cafeteria. After the first day of school, Grade 6 students enter through the Coles Street yard at 8:45AM.
- Grades 7 & 8 students enter through the Coles Street yard at 8:45AM and go up to their regular Crew classrooms
- Grades 9-12 students enter on Henry Street at 8:45AM at the doors farthest to the left when facing the building (by Coles Street, by the gym) and go directly upstairs to the 5th floor to their Crew rooms
- Every day, school begins at 8:45AM and ends at 3:05PM.
- Lower grades (grades 6-8) are dismissed on the Rapelye Street side of the building.
- Upper grades (grades 9-12) are dismissed on the Coles Street side of the building.
Crew Assignments and Crew Rooms, Student Schedules
- New students to BCS (Grades 6 and 9 and transfers into other grades) will receive their crew assignment with room number by email by Tues 9/7. Students may not request a crew or to be in the same crew with their friends.
- All students (new and returning) will receive a phone call from their crew leader on Thurs 9/9 telling them what room to go to.
- The first three days of school (Mon 9/13, Tues 9/14, and Wed 9/15) are full crew days for orientation and students will be in their crew room.
- Students will receive their schedules during the full crew days.
Free YWCA Afterschool Program (for all Grades 6-8 students) – Please apply!
- We have an amazing afterschool program with the YWCA for all students Grades 6-8 (free for all students) tentatively everyday Mon-Fri from 3:05pm-5:30pm in the building
- There is academic help, fun activities, workshops led by experts like professional chefs, programmers, etc.
- Application linked here – email YWCA Program Director Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and with completed applications
- Here are the summer reading lists (below and on our website). Please read 2-3 titles from these lists to enrich your reading life and vocabulary – you can find them in your local bookstore or library! There is no assignment associated with summer reading – just read! At BCS, we recommend that students read 30-45 minutes each day.
- There are no specific supply lists beyond a book bag and writing utensils (pens and pencils).
- We aim to minimize the stress for all families by providing the majority of supplies to all students.
- We ask for a small donation from families who are able to offset the cost of supplies – more information will be distributed to families when school begins.
Masks are required
- Masks are required daily for all students, worn over the mouth and nose, even if you are fully vaccinated.
- Please make sure you have a regular supply of disposable or cloth masks. Please keep an extra mask in your bookbag.
- If your mask breaks or is soiled or lost, we also have extra masks for students.
- No neck gaiters, open-chin triangle bandannas, or face coverings with valves, mesh or holes.
Please join our Zoom Family/Student Town Hall
- Please join us for our Family/Student Town Hall in Zoom to ask any questions you may have about school re-opening.
- Lower Grades (Grades 6-8) – Tuesday 8/31 at 7:30pm
- Upper Grades (Grades 9-12) – Tuesday 8/31 at 8:15pm
- Zoom link to follow
Optional In-Person Orientation for all new families/students (Grades 6 and 9)
- Thursday 9/9 from 4pm-5pm in Cafeteria
- Monday 9/13 from 9am-10am in Cafeteria
- Email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
For school updates
- Regularly check our website (www.bcs448.org)
- Make sure you’re on our family listserve to receive emails from us (if you received this email, you’re on our listserve!)
- Follow us on Instagram (TheCollaborativeChronicle)
Girls Volleyball (Grades 9-12)
- BUMP-SET-SPIKE!!!!! IT’S TIME FOR VOLLEYBALL!!
- IF YOU MISSED THE FIRST ZOOM THERE WILL BE ANOTHER FOR ALL 9-12TH GRADE GIRLS INTERESTED IN PLAYING VOLLEYBALL, FRIDAY, AUGUST 13TH @ 10:00AM.
- Join Zoom Meeting
PLEASE DONATE TO BCS
Fully fund our Donors Choose
- Please donate to our Donors Choose Projects from the World Arts Department. On August 12th, every donation to teacher requests on DonorsChoose will receive a 50% boost.
- BCS World Arts Department – We need $1675 to fully stock our World Arts Department closets/classes! We appreciate your support!
Shop Amazon Smile to support BCS
- Please choose Friends of Brooklyn Collaborative Studies as your charity on Amazon Smile and donate to BCS while you shop at Amazon at no cost to you!
Donate to our BCS PTA
- Please make a donation to the BCS PTA (suggested per family donation $60 if you are able) which annually funds teacher requests – when teachers need items/funding for a project, we ask our PTA: https://www.bcspta.org/donate
P-EBT cards for all families
- This week New York State announced it will begin issuing the Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) food funds for this school year (September 2020-June 2021).
- Hold on to your P-EBT card from last year! If you cannot find your spring 2020 P-EBT card, you can request a replacement card now through the P-EBT Information Form or by calling EBT Customer Service at 1-888-328-6399.
- All NYC public school students are automatically eligible for P-EBT, no application or registration is required. P-EBT does not affect any other benefits or public charge status.
- Families will receive benefits per student as follows:
- $82 per month that a student’s primary mode of learning was hybrid or blended
- $132 per month that a student’s primary mode of learning was fully remote
Social Distancing – 3 feet where possible
- CDC guidance calls for social distancing of 3 feet, where possible. The CDC recognizes that limitations in social distancing should not be a barrier to full reopening of schools in the fall. The DOE recognizes that distancing will not be possible for many schools. As a result, the DOE will require all schools to comply with the mask policy and they are redoubling efforts to ensure all schools have adequate ventilation, proper PPE, air filters, and sufficient cleaning supplies.
- Schools will be permitted to use cafeteria space for eating. Social distancing in the cafeteria should be maintained, where possible.
- The next school year begins September 13, and a healthy and safe year for your child depends on vaccination! All New Yorkers aged 12 and older can now receive a free COVID-19 vaccine. Monday, August 9 is the last day for your child to get the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine to be fully vaccinated in time for school.
- While COVID vaccination is not required for school attendance, vaccination allows children to be in the classroom, participate in afterschool activities and sports, and gather with friends safely. It also provides a more stable learning environment because students who are fully vaccinated currently are not required to quarantine if a student in their class has COVID-19. Vaccination has already greatly reduced COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, helping to reopen the city and deliver a brighter future.
- Getting your child vaccinated is safe, confidential, and easy. Here’s what you need to know:
- Visit nyc.gov/vaccinefinder or call 877-VAX-4NYC (877-829-4692) to find a vaccination site near you. Many sites do not require an appointment.
- You can also request and receive at-home vaccination by visiting nyc.gov/homevaccine or calling 877-VAX-4NYC. In-home vaccination is free and available to all New Yorkers ages 12 and older.
- You do not need to provide proof of immigration status or a social security number to get vaccinated. Identification is only required for proof of age. If your child does not have an ID, you can attest to their age at the time of vaccination.
- You do not need health insurance to get vaccinated.
- For people under 18 years of age, a parent or legal guardian must provide consent.
- Children aged 12 to 15 must be accompanied to the vaccination site by a parent or guardian, or another adult caregiver designated by the parent or guardian.
- Some sites allow children aged 16 and 17 to go to the site alone, but they still require parental consent in writing or by phone.
- All records and information associated with vaccination are kept strictly confidential.
- Vaccines are administered by trained medical professionals.
- On-site telephone interpretation in multiple languages will be available.
- The City is now offering $100 for anyone (including children) who gets their first dose at a City-run vaccination site or at home as part of the in-home vaccination program. To find a City-run site, visit NYC COVID-19 Vax4NYC Appointment Scheduler or call 877-VAX-4NYC. See here for more information about this and other incentives.
CEC Meeting to discuss 3 new school buildings in Sunset Park
- D15 Superintendent Anita Skop will be hosting a virtual Sunset Park Community Meeting Tuesday, August 17 from 5:30-7:30pm.
- The goal of this meeting is to share more details about the 3 new school buildings coming to Sunset Park, discuss school planning, and gather community feedback.
- Register: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcqf-igqDguE9PHIaxcXLY3CY966mj3p9yy
- Interpretation Line: 347-966-4114
- Mandarin Conference ID: 949 052 895#
- Spanish Conference ID: 626 699 170#
- Mandarin Conference ID: 949 052 895#