Dear BCS Team, we hope you had a good weekend, what beautiful weather!
Educator Appreciation Week is coming up (May 8-12, 2023)!!
- Please fill out this form to shout out a BCS staff member. Shout out as many people as you’d like!!! We’ll share all the shout outs with staff!
- Consider teachers, crew leaders, paraprofessionals, counselors, admin, office staff, etc.
- Need a reminder of all the amazing people on the BCS Team? Check out the full staff directory here.
DOE – D15 Diversity Plan Evaluation and Assessment
- Please give feedback on the District 15 Diversity Plan
- The DOE needs as many people as possible across stakeholder groups, languages, neighborhoods etc. to complete the assessment to represent a wide array of voices and experiences. The survey can be translated (top right) by a click of a button into multiple languages. SURVEY – Launched and live! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W76XXMF
- Closes May 31st, 2023
- 10crew camping – May 8-10
- 7crew camping – May 10-12
- Lower Grades ETs:
- 5/18 (Thurs)
- Upper Grades ETs and Crew Trips:
- 5/17 (Wed)
$$$ Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer Program (P-EBT) Food Benefits – More money has been added to your child’s P-EBT Card
- The Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer Program (P-EBT) is a Federal program to provide food benefits to children who miss the opportunity to receive school meals due to pandemic-related school closures. These benefits will take the form of funds on electronic benefit transfer (EBT cards) which can be used in the same manner as SNAP (food stamp) cards.
- All children at DOE schools are eligible.
- Benefits will automatically be issued to all eligible students, program enrollment is not required.
- For students whose households receive SNAP, Temporary Assistance, or Medicaid benefits, P-EBT benefits will be loaded to those household accounts.
- For all other students, funds will load onto existing P-EBT cards.
- Visit the Frequently Asked Questions for the Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer Food Benefits for more information. For questions about this program:
- Email otda.sm.eisp.PEBT@otda.ny.gov
- Call 833-452-0096
Message from BNS/BCS Parent Action Committee – Community and Citywide Education Council elections – vote between now and May 9
- Vote on your NYCSA. You can vote for up to 3 candidates on your ballot. If you don’t have a NYCSA or if you haven’t logged on recently, you can get an account creation code from Amy Sumner or Tracey Pinkard.
- These education councils are so important and they are only as strong as the parents we select to represent us. Please vote!
- The candidate statements can be found here. Recordings of the candidate forums can be found here. You may find the recommendations from D15 Parents for Middle School Equity and NYCKidsPAC helpful. Current and former BCS and BNS parents included on these lists of endorsements include Leslie King, a current parent of two children at BCS and a former BNS parent, Hans Arrieta, a current BNS parent, and Kathryn Krase, a former BNS parent.
- Please vote!
Free in-person program at Cooper Hewitt for high school students
- Design Practice is a monthly series of free, hands-on workshops exploring techniques, strategies, and careers in design. This month, we will have the founders of Climoji lead a graphic design workshop. See below for more information and let me know if you have any questions.
- Design Practice: Icons for Change – Tuesday, May 16th (4:00- 6:30 P.M.), FREE with registration
- This is a hands-on, graphic design focused workshop where students will meet the designers of Climoji, a set of emoji built to get people talking about the climate crisis. Students will receive a behind the scenes tour of Cooper Hewitt’s new exhibition, Give Me a Sign: The Language of Symbols, and then dive in to create their own symbol/emoji. Students can learn more and sign up for free here!
Free summer filmmaking workshop
- Reel Works Teen Filmmaking is located in Gowanus Brooklyn. Reel Works is a youth development, workforce, and job training nonprofit that specializes in teaching filmmaking and media career exploration.
- We are recruiting students for our FREE summer filmmaking workshop. Our staff and alumni would like to meet your students to share about this amazing opportunity. Please invite your community to our virtual info sessions to learn more:
- The Summer Lab is a FREE intensive experimental filmmaking workshop for rising 9th and 10th-grade teens that introduces youth to the essentials of filmmaking while building a community of engaged young storytellers. Each week the students learn and practice a different technique used in experimental film projects – including found sound/footage, architecture and composition, light and shadows, sound design, and more. Apply to the Summer Lab HERE
Come to the BCS PTA Meeting on Tues 5/9
|Greetings BCS Families! |
¡Saludos familias de BCS!
Vea a continuación toda esta información en español.
Please join us at our next PTA General Meeting on Tuesday, 5/9/23 from 6:15-7:25 PM. We will meet remotely at the following link:https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82805443270?pwd=eFVVN1YvcFc0d2NlWmQ0elFjOFNyQT09Meeting ID: 828 0544 3270Passcode: BCS448
We will have the ability to offer real-time subtitles in Spanish on Zoom and will be nominating for positions to the executive Board for the 2023-2024 year. If you want the subtitles feature, when the meeting begins, you may click at the bottom right side of the screen where there is a “cc” box and turn it on. The words in Spanish will appear at the bottom of your screen.
We hope to see you there!Gina, Gregg, Karen, Kim, Marie-Claire, Reyhan, Sara, Talia, and Venus2022-2023 BCS PTA Executive Boardpta@bcs448.orgDonate to BCS via PayPal
Únase a nosotros en nuestra próxima
reunión general de la PTA el martes el nueve de mayo, de 6:15 a 7:25 p. m. Nos reuniremos de forma remota en el siguiente enlace:https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82805443270?pwd=eFVVN1YvcFc0d2NlWmQ0elFjOFNyQT09Identificación de la reunión: 828 0544 3270Código de acceso: BCS448¡Esperamos verte ahí!Gina, Gregg, Karen, Kim, Marie-Claire, Reyhan, Sara, Talia y Venus2022-2023 Junta Ejecutiva de la PTA de BCSpta@bcs448.orgDone a BCS a través de PayPalTendremos la capacidad de ofrecer subtítulos en tiempo real en español en Zoom. Si desea esta función, cuando comience la reunión, puede hacer clic en la parte inferior derecha de la pantalla donde hay un cuadro “cc” y activarla. Las palabras en español aparecerán en la parte inferior de su pantalla.