Dear BCS Families/Students,
We hope you had a great weekend.
- Group A Grades 6-8 – resumes in-person learning on Mon 3/1
- Thurs Mar 18 – Virtual Student-Led Evening Conferences
- Fri Mar 19 – Virtual Student-Led Afternoon Conferences – Half Day for Students (dismissal at 11:45am)
Building Cabinet Safety Meeting
- Every year, we invite families to our building cabinet meeting to discuss any safety concerns. You are all welcome to attend with BNS and BCS staff.
- Thurs Mar 11 @ 2:30pm – Building Cabinet Safety meeting (Zoom
Family Anti-Racist Equity Book Club Events
- Our next book is Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls by Monique Morris – please check out the book and RSVP to Imani
Our lower grades BCS YWCA Afterschool
- The YW-NYC Afterschool Program provides free afterschool programming on Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri until 5:30pm, both for in-person learners on their blended days and in virtual
- Please sign up your child by emailing Janet@bcs448.org
Office Hours for UPPER GRADES (Grades 9-12) will become ONE LINK
- To simplify access for students, beginning Mon 2/22, all students can access office hours for ALL teachers using just one link (daily at 2:30pm)
- The link has been posted in all Google Classrooms and is the same link for all classes
- We hope this will encourage more students to access office hours daily to speak with teachers and to complete work
Semester 1 Final Grades are available in PupilPath
- Review your Fall 2020 numeric report card grades. You can find these in PupilPath (click on “Grades” → “Report Card” → “2020-2021 Term 1″)
- If you have an NX, you must continue to submit work to your teachers in order to achieve Beginning Mastery. You have not yet passed that class.
- Transcripts have been mailed home as of Fri 2/5. Please look out for it in your mailbox.
- The DOE grading policy permits families in Grades 6-12 to convert any numeric grade above 65 to CR (credit) so that the numeric grade does not impact a student’s cumulative average
- Crew leaders will start informing families of your options and how to submit your request beginning this week – please reach out to your crew leader with questions.
No more Friday Crew at 2:30pm – Crew is now only Wed at 1:35pm
- Due to the return of blended learning, we will no longer have Friday Crew at 2:30pm
- All staff will be available for office hours Fri 2:30pm
- Crew will only be Wed at 1:35pm
ANNOUNCEMENTS RELATED TO BLENDED IN-PERSON LEARNING
Blended learning for MIDDLE SCHOOL re-opens Mon 3/1 for Cohort A
- Blended learning is re-opening citywide for middle school
- We welcomed back Cohort B on Thurs 2/25, we welcome back Cohort A on Mon 3/1
- If you have any questions, please reach out to Scill
- All students returning to blended learning must have COVID testing permission slips on file for random weekly testing
- All blended students should review the blended learning guidelines/protocols for the building
Travel restrictions if returning to blended
- Please note carefully the NYS rules for testing and quarantine
- Please do not return to blended learning until you have communicated with Scill about your travel/quarantine/testing plans if you traveled recently
Update about possible re-opening for HIGH SCHOOL
- We eagerly await a decision about re-opening blended learning for our high school students. Our new chancellor Meisha Ross Porter has said that she is committed to re-opening high school as soon as possible
- We will update you as soon as we hear anything and we hope to see you soon!
DOE ANNOUNCEMENTS & OTHER OPPORTUNITIES
Community Education Council – please submit an application to be a candidate for the council
- Each of the 32 geographic school districts has a Community Education Council, and there are four Citywide Councils: High Schools, English Language Learners, Special Education, and District 75. To apply to be a candidate for a council, simply log into your NYC Schools Account (NYCSA) to get started. If you don’t have a NYCSA account, you can sign up for one at mystudent.nyc and then contact your parent coordinator to add your students. You can submit your application through March 4.
- Later in the year, for the first time ever, parents and guardians with a child in a New York City public school will have the chance to vote for their preferred Community Education Council candidates and have a direct hand in shaping important decisions in our city. You need a NYCSA account to vote, so if you don’t have one, again, please sign up at mystudent.nyc.
Get Ready for Weekend Wellness: Self-Care for Communities and Families
- Saturday mornings 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- The DOE Office of School Wellness Programs is partnering with Hip Hop Public Health to host a a free, three-part, monthly Saturday morning event series, “Weekend Wellness: Self-Care for Communities and Families”
- March 20: Mental health and physical activity
- April 24: Racism and the connection to health/stress
- Register here.