Dear BCS Families,
We had such a great time at Applefest yesterday! Thank you to all the amazing parent/student volunteers/donors who made the event so successful!!!! A big shout out to all the parents who supported with the Corsi box air filters (funded by the BCS PTA). Thanks for their hard work at Applefest, they built 37 more air filters for BCS classrooms to increase the air exchanges each hour and filter out any possible COVID in the air with greater efficiency filters!!! This will go a long way in improving health and safety at BCS!
Crocs Love Spirit Day on Mon 11/8
- Tomorrow Mon 11/8 is BCS Spirit Monday – Wear your Crocs/things like crocs Day!
- Be ready to take photos!
- Please share with firstname.lastname@example.org
This Tues 11/9 is Clubs (2:20pm-3:15pm)
- All students are encouraged to join a club on Tuesday Clubs afterschool – see list here
BCS Virtual PTA Meeting – Tues 11/9 @ 6:30pm
- Please join us on Tuesday, November 9th at 6:30 p.m. for our monthly virtual PTA General Meeting.
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87233944714
- Meeting ID: 872 3394 4714
School Nurse Updates
- Students who feel sick in school must have their teacher call the nurse before they go downstairs
- There is no open/drop-in nurse that we can adequately assess and space out sick students
- If the nurse is occupied temporarily, students go to office 416 to wait for their time to see the nurse (usually within 20 min)
Parent Opt-Out Deadline extended for SEL screener
- If you do not want your child to be screened, please opt out of the DOE-mandated Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA) by filling out this form and talk with your crew leader.
We need writers for the BCS newspaper The Collaborative Chronicle
- Are you interested in writing articles about school events or topics relevant to teens?
- Email Imani@bcs448.org to write for our school newspaper
- See past issues here
- HS students can earn service credit hours
No school – Thurs 11/11 – Veterans Day
- No school, enjoy the day off – no work will be posted in Google Classroom
Student Led Conferences with crew leaders – Wed 11/10 and Fri 11/12
- Conferences are in Zoom – Crew leader sends a link to parents
- Please reach out to your crew leader if you haven’t made an appointment yet
- Wed 11/10 conferences are from 4:15pm-7:15pm AND Fri 11/12 conferences are from 12:30pm-3:30pm
Half day on Fri 11/12 – all crew day – dismissal at 11am
- We have a half day on Friday, it will be a full crew day
Lost and Found in 410
- If students lose items, please re-trace your steps and go to the Lost and Found in Office 410
- If students lose items of value (phones/keys), please check in with Scill in 416
BCS staff texting policy
- If students have a cell phone and are comfortable giving their cell phone number to their teachers/crew leaders, we occasionally use text to communicate with students about schoolwork or attendance
- Cell phones are a tool that students should learn to use responsibly in service of their learning and are usually the most accessible way to reach students
- If you have any questions about this, please email L2@bcs448.org
COVID VACCINE INFORMATION
Pop Up clinics for COVID vaccine – ages 5-11
- We are coordinating with BNS about the next pop-up clinic – tentatively scheduled for Fri 11/12 from 7am-11am at 610 Henry. We recommend that parents look into getting the vaccine at another site that has an appt system, instead of doing the pop-up clinic. The pop up clinic is first come, first serve, and last time, there was a long line. This time it is only for ages 5-11 so it will likely be packed by BNS families. Parents need to come to accompany their child so we anticipate be a lot of waiting.
- Additionally the DOE has said that second doses for ages 5-11, which must be administered at least three weeks after the first, won’t be available at school sites, unlike previous school-based vaccine efforts. So families will not have a pop-up clinic opportunity to get the second dose
- Any family who gets vaccinated at a city-run site including schools qualify for various incentives – search here and you will find sites that give shots to ages 5-11: https://vaccinefinder.nyc.gov/locations – Families can also call 877-VAX4NYC for more information.
- The pop up clinic is NOT for ages 12+, it is only for ages 5-11. All other students ages 12+ who want to be vaccinated should find a site here: https://vaccinefinder.nyc.gov/locations
COVID testing near the school at Red Hook Initiative
- There is COVID-19 testing weekly on Thursdays at RHI from 8am – 7pm via NYC Health and Hospitals for as long as possible. Testing is free and no appointment is necessary. The van is typically parked across the street from RHI on Hicks St.
- Nate’s Pharmacy offers Thursday Moderna vaccine days at RHI and now offers the booster shot Thursdays 3-4pm at RHI. You only need to make an appointment if you’re planning to get a booster shot. Eligibility and the QR code to make an appointment are included in the flyers located at the links below. Flyers are available in English, Spanish, and Chinese – click here.
COVID Booster Shots
- COVID-19 vaccine booster shots are now available for many New Yorkers. They are intended to provide additional protection against COVID-19. Learn more | Make an Appointment at NYC Health + Hospitals | Call 1-877-829-4692 to Make an Appointment.
- NYC Health + Hospitals is now offering booster shots to the following eligible people, if they received two doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine at least six months ago:
- People 65 or older.
- People 18 – 64 who have an underlying medical condition. Learn more
- People at higher risk of COVID-19 exposure due to their job. For example, health care workers.
- People at higher risk because of where they live or frequently visit, for example, a homeless shelter.
- People living in a nursing home or other long-term care facility.