Dear BCS Students and Families, we are grateful for you! We hope you had a good Student Led Conference with your crew leader and that you have a good holiday week.
Monday 11/20 is BCS Spirit Monday–Glasses Day!
- Wear glasses!
- Let’s see which crew shows the most BCS school spirit and have bragging rights! Take photos!
Crewsgiving is Wed 11/22
- We will have an additional period of crew during Pd 4 for our annual Crewsgiving celebration (otherwise the day is a regular schedule)
- Please bring an item to share if you can and express gratitude in Crew
- More info from your Crew leader this week
PTA Update – Recording from Jumprope session, Next PTA meeting 12/12
- At the November PTA General Meeting upper grade teacher Chrissy Prince provided a presentation on BCS grading and Jumprope. If you missed the meeting, you can view the recording (Chrissy’s presentation runs from minute mark 22:23-59-33). Chrissy will also be providing a similar session for parents later this month.
- We hope you will be able to join us for the December PTA General Meeting (12/12 from 6:15-7:25 PM on Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82805443270?pwd=eFVVN1YvcFc0d2NlWmQ0elFjOFNyQT09) when we will hear from students and staff about the College Now program run through Brooklyn Collaborative’s partnership with the NYC College of Technology (City Tech).
- Exec Board: Carlene, Gina, Karen, Kim, Latoya, Liz, Maisha, Reyhan, Sara, Talia, and Venus – 2023-2024 BCS PTA Executive Board
- Please contribute to the 2023-2024 BCS PTA Annual Appeal
Join the BNS/BCS Parent Action Committee (PAC)
- Are you interested in getting involved in parent efforts to support the unique teaching and learning that happen at BNS and BCS? Join the BNS/BCS Parent Action Committee! No specific knowledge or expertise is required – the PAC is a space where we, as parents, will educate ourselves about issues and work together to inform others and take action as needed. Curious about how BNS and BCS are able to be so different then other local schools and want to make sure they can continue to be? Come learn and be part of this work with us!
- Dates (At 8pm in Zoom):
- Monday 12/11
- Monday 1/8
- Monday 2/12
- Monday 3/11
- Monday 5/13
- Join Zoom Meeting
- Meeting ID: 879 7769 9626
- Passcode: 465059
Free online therapy for NYC teens
- School stress, relationships, friend drama—teen life can be a lot. So, your city is stepping up to give you mental health support. Now anyone 13-17 living in New York City has access to Talkspace at no cost. More info here: https://www.talkspace.com/coverage/nyc
Amazon Wish List – we need masks and tissues!
- Please purchase masks, wipes and tissues for our classrooms or donate some from home and bring to Office 416
Core Value Shout Outs
- Share with us a student or teacher you see consistently exemplifying one of our core values using our Core Value Shout Outs form – we’ll post regularly on Instagram
|Grades 6-8 Afterschool – YWCA|
Our YWCA Afterschool program offers daily clubs and academic help to our middle school students. Our programming is free for all students.
To sign up for YWCA Afterschool (if you are not already enrolled), please complete the application here: https://discoverdycd.dycdconnect.nyc/program-public
Students – please stop by Office 405 for more information or to sign up.
Families – please email YWCA Director Danielle Midgette at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. We will also hold two Parent Orientation / Info Sessions (flyer attached): In-person meeting – Tues 12/5 at 5:30pm in Auditorium (610 Henry Street, Brooklyn)Virtual meeting – Wed 12/6 at 6pm in Microsoft TeamsJoin on your computer, mobile app or room device
Click here to join the meeting
Meeting ID: 249 010 796 611
Starting Mon 11/20, here is the club schedule:
Grades 9-12 Afterschool – Inspiring Minds
Cooper Hewitt Design Workshops – Grades 9-12
- Design Practice is a monthly series of free, hands-on workshops exploring techniques, strategies, and careers in design. No prior experience is required!
- This month, we will be joined by leather artisan Mia Wright-Ross of MWR Collection. Students will design, emboss, and paint their own leather accessories! See below for more information and let me know if you have any questions.
- Design Practice: Accessory Design with Mia Wright Ross of MWR Collection
- Thursday, December 7th (4:30- 6:30 P.M.)
- Students can learn more and sign up for free here!
Protecting The East – Sexual Health Education Internship for ages 14-20
- Protecting the East is a sexual health program located in East New York that offers a 7-month internship that includes teaching outreach strategies to our interns, assisting them to improve their communication and public speaking abilities, partaking in and leading workshops, team-building exercises, and much more. If you are interested, we would like to visit your school to provide more information about our internship to your students, 14-20-year-olds, within the next month. We can do this in either a classroom setting or a large setting. Our application for the 2024 Paid Youth Internship has gone live. This is a rolling application process, the sooner students apply, the sooner they can be accepted. Once we reach capacity, we will stop interviewing applicants. This is the link to our 2024 Youth Internship Program that you can share with your students: Protecting the East 2024 Youth Internship.