Dear BCS Students/Families,
We hope you had a safe and enjoyable Halloween!
Twin Day on Mon 11/1
- Tomorrow Mon 11/1 is BCS Spirit Monday – Twin Day!
- Dress like your bestie(s) or crew family for Twin Day! Be ready to take photos!
- Please share with firstname.lastname@example.org
Tues 11/2 is an asynchronous remote day – students do not come to the building
- All students in Grades 6-12 do not attend school on Tues 11/2 – work will be posted in Google Classroom, attendance will be taken via the Crew Google Classroom
If you need a DOE device to do work at home, email Tracey
- Crew leaders interviewed all students about their need for a DOE device to do remote work at home
- We have begun to issue these students a DOE ipad with an attached keyboard so they can do remote work at home through Google Classroom
- If you have questions, please reach out to Parent Coordinator Tracey@bcs448.org
- If the DOE systems show that you already have a DOE device at home, you cannot be issued a second device so be sure to return your first device to the school
Fully Vaccinated Students do not need to quarantine if they have no symptoms in case of close contact
- Reminder to all students that we encourage all community members to get vaccinated.
- What does it mean to be fully vaccinated? The CDC defines it as at least two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine (like Pfizer and Moderna) or one dose of a single-dose vaccine (like Johnson & Johnson).
Last year’s MS State Test Scores are available to families
- The New York State Education Department has released the 2021 NYS Middle School ELA & Math Exam. If your child took the exam, these results are available through your NYC Schools Account (NYCSA)
BCS Spectator Policy for home games in the BCS Gym
- Currently, student spectators are not allowed at BCS home games. Adult spectators will be allowed if they are listed on a student-athlete’s profile. Student-athletes will be allowed two spectators, and will provide the names to their coach and athletic department prior to the season. All adult spectators must provide proof of full vaccination, provide proof of ID, and complete the DOE screening prior to entering the building. They must show the results of the screening to the on duty school safety agent before entering into the gym.
- **This policy will be strictly enforced. We thank you for your understanding and cooperation in advance. Please email Athletic Director email@example.com with any questions**
UG Students in Grades 10/11/12 – request any June grades to be converted to CR
- Students and families have the right to request conversion of any of their Sem 2 grades from June 2021 to CR – in this way, the number grade will not have an impact on a student’s GPA
- Crew leaders can request these changes on behalf of a family – please reach out to your child’s crew leader
DOE mandated SEL screener, parent-opt out opportunity – deadline Mon 11/1
- The DOE is mandating a social-emotional learning (SEL) screener called the Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA) for students in grades K-12. The DESSA asks questions about areas of social-emotional functioning including decision making, relationship building, confidence, and others. The responses the DOE gathers will be used to guide schools to provide targeted, highly responsive support to individual students. The results of this screener will be stored in an online DOE portal that meets strict privacy and security standards and will only be viewable by school staff who interact with your child.
- We have raised concerns about the screener – including that only one teacher fills it out without interviewing the student, a teacher only has 5 minutes to do a screener and answer 40+ questions about a student in a rushed manner, and that schools do not get any funding based on the results of the screener. BCS already uses many of the interventions suggested by the DOE.
- Parents are able to opt out of the DOE-mandated Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA) by filling out this form. The deadline to opt out is Mon 11/1. Crew leaders will do the screeners on Tues 11/2.
Student Absence Notification
- If your child has to be absent, please email your child’s crew leader
- Your child’s crew leader will notify your child’s teachers and the attendance office
Breakfast and Lunch are offered daily free to all students
- Breakfast menu – available to students at entry to pick up
- Lunch menu – available during Pd 5 crew and at 2:20pm (Grab&Go)
- All menus are subject to change.
- All menus are pork free.
- No fried food is offered or served in school meals.
- No artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners are used in any school meal.
- The Office of School Foods may substitute foods in case of supply chain issues.
BCS Library is Open Mon-Fri – come borrow a book
- All students are welcome Mon-Fri from 8:15-9am and 2-2:30pm to borrow books from our library (Room 401)
Join Applefest on Sat 11/6 – community building fundraiser, fun day of activities
- COME HAVE FUN WITH US – Date: Sat 11/6 from 11am-3pm in the school yards
- BCS PARENTS – please volunteer for a shift: https://www.konstella.com/cd/Dbkk26
- we need more BCS parents to help build the Corsi air filters that will be used for BCS classrooms – please help keep our classrooms COVID safe!
- You can help build while your children have fun!
- Sign up to purchase a wristband to get access to all the activities for your children – pay what you can to support our fundraiser – prices range from $1-10: https://www.konstella.com/open/sales/616f538b6afad907d5eec353
- If you can’t make the event, please buy a wristband and write in the note section: “I can’t make it, please donate my wristband to a student!”
- In Konstella, when signing up, put in your name/email/phone and then click “Continue” and it will allow you to sign up for a volunteer slot or buy a wristband!
- Having trouble? Please email Scill@bcs448.org
- Thank you for supporting BCS+BNS – 610 Henry campus unity!
- The event is entirely outdoors – masks/DOE health screener is required.
Save the Dates – Student Led Conferences with crew families – Wed 11/10 and Fri 11/12
- Your child’s crew leader will reach out to schedule an SLC with you. Please reach out to your child’s crew leader if you haven’t heard from them by Mon 11/8.
- Wed 11/10 evening conferences are from 4:15pm-7:15pm
- We have a half day Fri 11/12 – All Crew Day – Dismissal is at 11am
- Fri 11/12 afternoon conferences are from 12:30pm-3:30pm
- Conferences are in Zoom – Crew leader will send a Zoom link to parents
- Thurs 11/11 is no school for Veterans’ Day