Dear BCS Families/Students,
We hope you enjoyed the brisk fall weather!
We recommend that students and families log into Pupilpath, Google Classroom, and Gmail together and go over these questions:
- What are your classes? How are you doing in each class? How do you know?
- What information is posted in Google Classroom? What assessments are due and/or upcoming?
- What questions do you have for your teachers? Do you know how to email your teachers to ask questions?
- How can you get help if you need it? Do you attend Tuesday Mastery Support afterschool?
Wear your pajamas on Mon 10/25
- Tomorrow Mon 10/25 is BCS Spirit Monday – Pajama Day!
- Dress like you just rolled out of bed! Be ready to take photos!
- Please share with email@example.com
Tues 10/26 – Zoom Family/Student Town Hall to ask any questions!
- Please join us for our Family/Student Town Hall in Zoom to ask any questions.
- Lower Grades (Grades 6-8) – Tues 10/26 at 6:30pm
- Upper Grades (Grades 9-12) – Tues 10/26 at 7:15pm
- Join Zoom Meeting, ID: 85682633731, Passcode: 506635
- Dial in +1 929-436-2866
- This month, we’ll address the DOE-mandated SEL screener
Thurs 10/28 SAT School Day for Grade 12, Grades 9-11 have asynchronous remote day
- Grades 9-11 students do not attend school on Thurs 10/28 – work will be posted in Google Classroom, attendance will be taken via the Crew Google Classroom
- Grade 12 students report to the building for the SAT exam at 8:30am, please arrive on time
- Grades 6-8 students have a regular in-person school day in the building
Grades will be downloaded Thurs 10/28 AT NOON for all classes and crew
- Grades will be mailed home in advance of Nov SLCs based off a snapshot taken from PupilPath on Thurs 10/28 at noon
- Students/parents have 24/7 access to PupilPath as well
Tues 11/2 is an asynchronous remote day – students do not come to the building
- All students in Grades 6-12 do not attend school on Tues 11/2 – work will be posted in Google Classroom, attendance will be taken via the Crew Google Classroom
Reminders & Clarification: Lower Grades Instructional Crew Lunch Period
- Middle school students have a daily instructional lunch period during crew with their crew leader (12:01pm-12:41pm). Students eat lunch while simultaneously receiving crew facilitated instructional activities that include weekly academic and social-emotional learning (SEL) check-ins, circles, split crew initiatives, and crew vs. crew initiatives. As much as possible, crews eat outdoors but this instructional lunch period is not recess time. We try to incorporate movement in our initiatives.
- Masks must be worn anytime students are not eating or drinking to maintain all health and safety guidelines.
- All students should dress in layers and bring their coats to crew lunch.
- If you have questions, please reach out to Imani@bcs448.org
Join Applefest on Sat 11/6 – community building fundraiser, fun day of activities
- Date: Sat 11/6 from 11am-3pm
- Sign up to volunteer for a shift: https://www.konstella.com/cd/Dbkk26
- Sign up to purchase a wristband to get access to all the activities – pay what you can to support our fundraiser – prices range from $1-10: https://www.konstella.com/open/sales/616f538b6afad907d5eec353
- Just put in your name/email and then click “Continue” and it will allow you to sign up for a slot or buy a wristband!
- Thank you for supporting BCS+BNS – we believe in 610 Henry campus unity!
If you need a DOE device to do work at home
- Crew leaders interviewed all students about their need for a DOE device to do remote work at home
- We have begun to issue these students a DOE ipad with an attached keyboard so they can do remote work at home through Google Classroom
- If you have questions, please reach out to Parent Coordinator Tracey@bcs448.org
UG Students in Grades 10/11/12 – request any June grades to be converted to CR
- Students and families have the right to request conversion of any of their Sem 2 grades from June 2021 to CR – in this way, the number grade will not have an impact on a student’s GPA
- Crew leaders can request these changes on behalf of a family – please reach out to your child’s crew leader
DOE mandated SEL screener, parent-opt out opportunity
- The DOE is mandating a social-emotional learning (SEL) screener called the Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA) for students in grades K-12. The DESSA asks questions about areas of social-emotional functioning including decision making, relationship building, confidence, and others. The responses the DOE gathers will be used to guide schools to provide targeted, highly responsive support to individual students. The results of this screener will be stored in an online DOE portal that meets strict privacy and security standards and will only be viewable by school staff who interact with your child.
- As you know, BCS is rooted in a foundation of SEL. We believe our students are able to achieve their best selves when they are supported academically and socially-emotionally. We have crew every day for 40 minutes so that the same caring adult can check in with students and know them well and the same small group of students can form a micro-community together in school. All our crew leaders are trained in restorative practices, circles, and foundational community building principles. We have a Support Team consisting of two school counselors, one social worker, two restorative practices coordinators, one college counselor, and two counseling interns. We have staff at entry who greet students every day so that we get an immediate read of how they are doing as they enter school. We feel strongly that we have structures in place that support our students’ social emotional learning already!
- Parents are able to opt out of the DOE-mandated Devereux Student Strengths Assessment (DESSA) by filling out this form.
Student Absence Notification
- If your child has to be absent, please email your child’s crew leader
- Your child’s crew leader will notify your child’s teachers and the attendance office
School Leadership Team open to public
- If you would like to audit (join but not participate) in our School Leadership Team meeting, please email Imani
- We post the dates/links for our SLT meetings on our website bcs448.org
Support BCS $$$ – Donors Choose
- Please support ELA Grade 12 with their funding requests:
Emergency Broadband Benefit for All Families – get low-cost internet access
- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has launched a short-term Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) program, which provides broadband internet service for eligible New York City households, at a reduced cost, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- All families with a student enrolled in a DOE school or program are eligible for this benefit. Families can confirm their eligibility, apply for the program, and find participating broadband providers via the USAC website (https://getemergencybroadband.org/). There are two types of benefits available to eligible households:
- Monthly Benefit: A discount of up to $50/month for broadband service, equipment, and device rentals; or
- One-time Device Discount: A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer (with a co-payment of $10-$50), where available.
- For questions and support, schools and families should email EBBHelp@usac.org or call (833) 511-0311.
- Here is the link to sign up: https://morningbellnyc.com/2021/save-money-on-home-broadband/
- 1. When you apply, click that you’re eligible because your child received free or reduced price school lunch or breakfast.
- 2. On the page when they ask you to list your child’s school.
- 1. Choose NY State.
- District: Choose NYC Chancellor’s District.
- Choose Brooklyn Collaborative Studies, 15K448
- 3. You have to call your internet provider and give the approval number.
Parent/student volunteers needed for our virtual open houses
- We need parents/students for our tour season up ahead to recruit new incoming Grade 6 and 9 students.
- Please let Tracey know if you’re available at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Register for the open house to get the Zoom link.
- Rename yourself in the Zoom – e.g. Nina – BCS Parent Grade 9
- Co-lead a breakout room after the Main Session (you will be joined by students/staff)
- Round 1 – Current staff/students/parents introduce themselves and answers how BCS supports their academic/social-emotional learning
- Round 2 – New families/students go-round introduce themselves and says something you’re interested in when looking for your next school
- Round 3 – Q & A
- Sign up for Tues 11/2/2021 @ 7:45pm virtual open house (register here).
- Sign up for Tues 12/7/2021 @ 7:45pm virtual open house (register here).
- Sign up for Tues 1/11/2022 @ 7:45pm virtual open house (register here).