Dear BCS Students/Families, we had an incredible Black History Showcase on Friday! Thanks to all the students, families, and staff who supported. Check out our Instagram for photos!
Spirit Mondays for February
- Mon 2/13 – Valentine’s Day – wear red, white or pink!
- Mon 2/27 – Pajama Day – wear pajamas!
- Be ready to take pics and share with firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mon 2/20 – Fri 2/24 – No School (Midwinter Recess)
- Half Days in March – dismissal at 11:15am:
- Wed 3/1
- Mon 3/13
- Fri 3/24
- Mon 3/27
March PROSE Half Days
- BCS is part of a select network of schools in PROSE, which permits DOE schools to innovate with deviations from the citywide calendar and UFT contract by vote of the staff.
- The DOE has approved our annual PROSE half days, which allow our staff to have additional professional development.
- Please note these dates in your calendar – half days – dismissal at 11:15am:
- Wed 3/1
- Mon 3/13
- Mon 3/27
- In addition, there is another citywide half day on Fri 3/24 for student-led conferences – dismissal at 11:15am.
Write for the BCS Newspaper – The Collaborative Chronicle
- Check out the January issue of the BCS Newspaper
- Interested in writing an article or sharing your artwork? Email email@example.com
Convert previous grades (including January grades) to CR (credit – UG) or P (pass – LG) based on DOE academic policy
- If you would like to request for a numeric grade from first semester or from 2020-2021 or 2021-2022 school year to be converted to CR or P due to the DOE’s pandemic academic policy, please let your crew leader know so they can submit a grade change request for you
Support the PTA
- We ask our PTA for support regularly to put on school events and for staff requests for their classroom and for professional development
- Please donate whatever you can to our PTA Annual Appeal to support BCS
PTA Meeting in Zoom – Tues 2/14 from 6:15pm-7:30pm
- We are excited to have you join us on Tuesday, FEBRUARY 14th from 6:15 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. for our FEBRUARY General PTA meeting. We will receive updates from school leadership and reconnect in small breakout rooms. AND: We are seeking a co-secretary and will be accepting nominations (including self-nominations).
- BCS PTA GENERAL MEETING ZOOM LINK – https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82805443270?pwd=eFVVN1YvcFc0d2NlWmQ0elFjOFNyQT09
- Meeting ID: 828 0544 3270 Passcode: BCS448, Passcode: 430561
- Saludos BCS PTA Familia y familias, Únase a nosotros el martes 14 de febrero 6: 15-7: 30pm para PTA general. Recibiremos actualizaciones del liderazgo escolar y nos volveremos a conectar. Todavía estamos buscando un co-secretario y aceptaremos nominaciones (incluidas las autonominaciones). ¡Te veo allí!
MS Afterschool Program with YWCA – all students Grades 6-8 welcome
- Join afterschool – we have film, podcasting, sports, arts, cooking, and much more!
- Come one day a week or everyday!
- Get an application in Office 405 from Ashley@bcs448.org or Jaada@bcs448.org
HS Afterschool Program with Inspiring Minds – all students Grades 9-12 welcome
- Enroll in our HS Afterschool Program – free programs in SAT Prep, Cosmetology, Boxing, Film, Cooking and much more!
- Come one day a week or everyday!
- Email Fox@bcs448.org for more information – join us!
Reminder – free breakfast available daily to all students
- Free hot breakfast available daily 7:45-8:45am in the cafeteria
- Grab and go cold breakfast available daily 8:30-10:30am by School Safety desk at entry
Ask questions at your local Taxpayer Assistance Center
- The Internal Revenue Service is committed to providing meaningful service and assistance to meet taxpayers’ needs. Many IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers across the country will open one Saturday each month in February, March, April and May, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., to offer in-person help without an appointment. Normally, TACs are open weekdays by appointment.
- Visit www.irs.gov/saturdayhours which shows the dates and hours your local Taxpayer Assistance Center is open.
Drug Prevention Strategies and Supports for Schools and Families Zoom Session
- Please join the District 15 team for a special session on Wednesday, February 15th at 6:30 p.m. The conversation will be surrounding ‘Drug Prevention Strategies and Supports for Schools and Families’. This Town Hall will be held remotely, via Zoom. Attached you will find the Town Hall flyers in English, Mandarin and Spanish. Use the link below to register:
- Registration link: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYoduCsrj8vHNSlaIC4q5IjdlCEUN-pkIyQ
$$ Black in Marine Science – paid diving experiences for ages 18+
- Black in Marine Science (BIMS), a 501c3 nonprofit organization, is partnering with The Nature Conservancy to offer an all expense PAID diving experience in St. Croix USVI from May 21-27th for students ages 18 and up who are aspiring marine scientists (a second opportunity will be made available in the Bahamas in the coming months). This immersion experience will show what it is like to be a part of coral restoration. Applications for this program are due February 15th. Please see the link to the application here.
$$ Gowanus Canal Conservancy – Paid HS apprenticeship
- We have a paid high school apprenticeship program for sophomores and juniors that runs from May 6 through August 12, 2023 in Gowanus, Brooklyn called Green Team. Our recruitment efforts focus on under-resourced youth from NYCHA and other environmental justice areas in order to address lack of diversity in the environmental field. Youth gain experience in environmental stewardship, environmental justice, conservation, and community-based environmental advocacy. There are no minimum GPA requirements for this program. The application is currently open and the deadline to apply is Friday, March 3, 2023.
Community Healing and Wellness team at The Red Hook Community Justice Center
- Our Healthy Relationships Teen Group will begin in March (next month). The sessions will cover topics such as healthy relationships and minor rights.
- See interest form
$$ Urban Leadership Fellows Program for ages 18+
- The Urban Leadership Fellows Program is a paid summer internship program for graduating seniors interested in business, finance, law, government, and/or public policy to gain valuable hands-on work experience and training in the municipal finance industry.
- Interns work full time for six weeks between July and August at prestigious firms around New York City. Additionally, all students are required to attend mandatory workshops, trainings, and events that take place between end of May and mid-August. This is a great opportunity for these students to explore their career interests, network with professionals, and strengthen their skill sets with the support of their supervisors, mentors, and Program Coordinators from Futures and Options. The application for the ULF program has a deadline of February 19th. You can find it on our website linked here.
City Art Lab Program at CCNY for High School StudentsFree Art program for high school students. Here is the link to the application.